Nestled at the foothills of the Savandurga hills lies the postcard-perfect Manchanabele Dam, located just 35 km from Bangalore. Constructed across the Arkavathi River, this reservoir makes for a great spot to spend time amidst nature with family and friends.
Read on to uncover everything you need to know before visiting this scenic destination near Bangalore.
Manchanabele Dam Timings
The Manchanabele Dam area opens for visitors at 6AM in the morning and is accessible till 6PM in the evening daily. The lighting during sunrise and sunset makes it worthwhile to plan your trip during these hours for photography.
Manchanabele Dam Location
Manchanabele dam is located just 35km away from Bangalore near Magadi town in Ramanagara district, Karnataka. It lies en route to Savandurga hills across the Arkavathi river. The location’s proximity to the city makes it a popular quick getaway for Bangaloreans.
Bangalore to Manchanabele Dam Distance
The dam lies just 40km towards the west of Bangalore. One can easily reach here in under an hour by road via the Bangalore-Mysore Highway. Renting bikes or driving down by car is the most convenient way to cover the Bangalore to Manchanabele dam distance.
You can also opt for guided day tour packages from Bangalore offered by several travel operators. Buses or taxis can also be hired if you do not wish to drive yourself.
Best Time to Visit Manchanabele Dam
Since the Manchanabele Dam area opens to the sky, the best months to visit are from August to February when the weather is cool and comfortable. Summers can get very hot, especially during the daytime.
The lush greenery and filled dam waters during monsoons after August also offer brilliant scenic views. But the risk of landslides in the adjoining hills is higher, hence visit with caution.
Top Activities at Manchanabele Dam
- Photography – Manchanabele attracts shutterbugs for its Instagrammable landscape views of the reservoir waters with the rocky Savandurga hills in the backdrop. One can capture the play of lighting against the clouds and hills through the day or breathtaking sunsets.
- Picnicking – The soothing natural ambience and grassy banks of the dam also serve for nice picnics or short family trips from Bangalore. There are a few shacks providing snack items and refreshments as well near the entrance.
- Birdwatching – Keen birdwatchers can spot river terns, egrets, kingfishers, kites and other species near the waters. Early mornings tend to have the most sightings. Carry your binoculars for a fruitful birding walk here.
- Fishing – If you enjoy angling, the Manchanabele reservoir offers opportunities to catch some huge fish like Ragi, rohu, catla and more. However, you need to acquire fishing passes for that from the department.
- Trekking – One can hike up the Manchanabele Waterfalls trail situated uphill just behind the reservoir which becomes lush green post-monsoon. Savandurga Hills also offers scenic trekking opportunities just a few kilometres ahead.
Best Resorts near Manchanabele Dam
Looking for a relaxing stay by the Manchanabe Reservoir? Some nice resorts near the dam perfect for families include:
- Discovery Village – Offering a children’s play area, multi-cuisine restaurant, cycling trails, spacious AC rooms with balconies overlooking the hills and more.
- Shailendra Resort – Set amidst mango orchards, it has an outdoor pool, games room, restaurant, conference halls, and cosy accommodations.
- GRS Fantasy Golf Resort – Featuring amenities like an indoor sports complex, pool, spa, restaurant, and recreation zones for both luxury and budget travellers.
- Anandadhama Resorts – Equipped with a multi-cuisine restaurant, pool, recreation areas for adults, conference spaces and pleasant room views.
How to Reach Manchanabele Dam from Bangalore
Manchanabele Dam can be conveniently accessed by road via the Bangalore-Mysore Highway in just an hour. One can also rent bikes or drive down by car via Nice Road through Kanakapura Road to cover the Bangalore to Manchanabele dam distance comfortably.
Taxis can also be booked through travel agencies offering guided full-day Manchanabele day tour packages from Bangalore, inclusive of travel. Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) also runs direct buses to Manchanabele village from Majestic bus stand in Bangalore.
FAQs about Manchanabele Dam
Ques 1. What is the best time to visit Manchanabele Dam?
The ideal months are from August to February when the weather is pleasant, greenery & water is abundant. Avoid extreme summers.
Ques 2. What is the entry fee for Manchanabele Dam?
There are no entry tickets or fees to visit Manchanabele Dam. The whole premises is freely accessible to the general public.
Ques 3. Where exactly is Manchanabele Dam located?
It is located 35 km away from Bangalore near Magadi in Ramanagara district. Savandurga hills lie just across the Arkavathi river beyond here.
Ques 4. How far is Manchanabele Dam from Bangalore?
The Bangalore to Manchanabele dam distance is just 35-40 kilometres only, making it a convenient quick getaway.
Ques 5. What activities are popular at Manchanabele Dam?
Manchanabele Dam is best for photography, birdwatching, picnicking, fishing and occasional trekking opportunities to nearby hills or waterfall trail.
So if you ever feel like escaping the monotony of city life on a budget – the scenic Manchanabele Dam surrounded by hills and greenery makes for a rejuvenating day tour! Its pocket-friendly access and plentiful sights ensure you have a relaxed time amidst nature’s company.